We've seemed to have mastered the "Moules Marinières" dish, as we've feasted on mussels a few times and our recipe has progressively improved.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 small shallots , sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds mussels
- 8 ounces chicken stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- lemon wedges
- salt and pepper
- Crusty French bread
- Clean and remove beards from mussels.
- Preheat a large pot to medium and add olive oil and butter. Once butter has melted, add sliced shallots, a pinch of salt and pepper then cook for 5 minutes until the shallots have softened.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add wine, chicken stock and mussels, then cover with a lid and steam mussels for 8-10 minutes or until all mussels open. (If any mussels do not open, discard).
- Add cream and parsley, stir and season with salt if necessary.
- Serve with lemon wedges and slices of crusty French bread.